Skip to main content

Barbra Streisand & Serena Williams among list of Best Picture nominee presenters at Oscars


Barbra Streisand, Serena Williams and chef Jose Andres will be among the stars presenting the Best Picture nominees at the Oscars on Sunday (24Feb19). Producers of the 91st Academy Awards have also invited Queen Latifah, Diego Luna, Wayne's World stars Dana Carvey and Mike Myers, rocker Tom Morello, and Amandla Stenberg to take the stage to salute the night's biggest movies. Announcing the decision via a statement on Wednesday (20Feb19), Oscars producers Donna Gigliotti and Glenn Weiss said: "Movies connect us all. They move us, and they create moments and memories that unite us. "We are thrilled to assemble this well-known array of film lovers to introduce and share their reflections on the Best Picture-nominated movies." Meanwhile, rockers Queen will open the show at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood. The group, whose beginnings feature in the Oscar-nominated Bohemian Rhadsody, were asked to get things started in the absence of a traditional Oscars host. Current Queen frontman Adam Lambert announced the big news via Twitter on Monday (18Feb19) and posted a 15-second video of the band performing We Will Rock You as the words "Queen + Adam Lambert. Feb 24th. 5pm EST. The OSCARS" flashed up on the screen. He added the caption: "We will rock The Oscars Feb 24th. 5pm PST. @TheAcademy @QueenWillRock." Academy Awards bosses confirmed the big news via social media, adding: "Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? We welcome @QueenWillRock and @adamlambert to this year's #Oscars!" Their band's movie, which is up for five awards on Sunday, has taken in more than $850 million (£649,000) at the global box office to become the most successful musical biopic ever. The Oscars will be without a host for the first time in 30 years following comedian Kevin Hart's decision to step down last year (18) after the discovery of past homophobic tweets he sent out almost a decade ago.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lyon vs Barcelona: Lionel Messi and teammates get important draw in France

- Lyon vs Barcelona game in the Champions League round of 16 tie ended goalless on Tuesday night, February 19 - Goalkeeper Anthony Lopes of Lyon was superb for his club as he denied the likes of Lionel Messi and Dembele - Barcelona will have the chance in the second leg playing in front of their fans at the Camp Nou Lyon were on Tuesday night, February 19, forced to a goalless draw by visiting Spanish giants Barcelona in the first leg of their Champions League round of 16 encounter. The French club have never beaten the Catalan giants in their history, and Lyon players wanted to break this record, but Barcelona proved an hard nut for them to crack. Barcelona got the first chance of the game in the 5th minute when Gerard Pique sent a long ball to Dembele who was in a good position, but he failed to utilize the opportunity. Lionel Messi and Suarez also combined well three minutes later to beat Lyon defense, but goalkeeper Anthony Lopes was brilliant to deny them. Lyon's got their b…

Plateau governorship election is inconclusive - INEC

- Pateau state governorship election has been declared inconclusive - The commission said the total number of votes cancelled is more than the difference in the number of votes the two major candidates got - The total number of votes cancelled in the state is 49, 347, while the total margin between leading candidates is 44, 929 The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Monday, March 11, declared the governorship elections in Plateau state inconclusive. Professor Richard Kimbir, the Returning Officer for the election in the state announced this on Monday in Jos, after collating results from the 17 local government areas of the state, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports. Kimbir, who is the Vice Chancellor of Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi, said the total number of votes cancelled is more than the difference in the number of votes the two major candidates got, “hence was constrained to declare the polls inconclusive”. The returning officer said Simon Lalon…

Ex-Nissan chief Ghosn seeks permission to attend board meeting on Tuesday - Yomiuri

TOKYO (Reuters) - Ousted Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn is seeking permission from the Tokyo District Court to attend the company's board meeting on Tuesday, Yomiuri newspaper reported on Monday. The Tokyo District Court is expected to decide whether it will give permission as soon as Monday, the report said. Renault SA, Nissan Motor Co and Mitsubishi Motors Corp plan to set up a joint board meeting structure to discuss issues related to their alliance in a step towards integration of operations, TV Tokyo reported on Sunday.