Skip to main content

Election 2019: FJP presidential candidate asks Buhari to address Nigerians on shoot-at-sight order


- President Muhammadu Buhari's recent comment on electoral practices continues to generate reactions nationwide
- The president had warned that anyone who attempted to snat*ch ballot boxes during the polls would pay with his life
- The presidential candidate of the Freedom and Justice Party (FJP), Dr. Onwubuya John Breakforth, has urged the president to clarify the statement
The presidential candidate of the Freedom and Justice Party (FJP), Dr. Onwubuya John Breakforth, has urged President Muhammadu Buhari to clarify his recent statement on electoral practices.
Breakforth specifically wants the president to deliver a nationwide address to Nigerians, especially to tell security agencies that he did not instruct them to kill Nigerians extra-judicially.
The president had warned that anyone who attempted to snat*ch ballot boxes during the polls would pay with his life, a comment many feared would be misinterpreted by the security agencies.
The president's clarification, he said, would prevent voters apathy, stressing that Buhari's comment could be misinterpreted by some overzealous security agents to harm innocent citizens.
He also lament that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential candidate, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar and President Buhari of the All Progressives Congress (APC), who are the two leading candidates have been engrossed in accusations and counter accusations, stating that the nation was not at war.
“We condemn the persistence trade of words between APC and PDP, accusations and counter accusations. Nobody should throw this country into war zone because of his political ambition,” he said.
He said the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) is ready to give Nigerians the best of democratic experience and should be supported to achieve that.
Onwubuya who absolved INEC of wrong doing over last week’s election postponement, said the postponement happened in the interest of the nation, as INEC was confronted with huge challenge of fielding over 3,000 candidates at once.
“INEC postponed election last week in the interest of the country. This is the first time, INEC is fielding over 3,000 candidates and one could imagine the challenge.
More so, INEC postponed the election due to sabotage by some government agencies responsible for movement of sensitive materials,” Onwubuya said.
He expressed optimism that the presidential polls would be free and fair, adding that the umpire was well prepared, even as he urged INEC to ensure that all the likely lapses are addressed.
On his party's preparations for the polls, he said: “FJP is fully in the race for all elective offices across the country. Our FCT senatorial candidate, Archbishop Prof. Leonard Bature Kawas has not step down for any body and are fully in the race to win FCT senatorial seat and give new face to FCT residents. We urge all FCT residence and indeed all Nigerians to vote for the ‘HORN’ party at all levels.”
Meanwhile, Senator Shehu Sani has raised concerns that President Buhari’s statements on what will befall ‘snatchers of ballot boxes’ can encourage lawless persons to engage in jungle justice.
Sani, the lawmaker representing Kaduna Central senatorial district, said those who sna*ch ballot boxes should rather be arrested and prosecuted to avoid jungle justice.
The lawmaker wrote on Twitter: “Those who attempt to sna*ch or snatched ballot boxes should be arrested and brought to book; this is a better expression to avoid jungle justice or licence for disorder by thugs who may take the law into their hands.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lyon vs Barcelona: Lionel Messi and teammates get important draw in France

- Lyon vs Barcelona game in the Champions League round of 16 tie ended goalless on Tuesday night, February 19 - Goalkeeper Anthony Lopes of Lyon was superb for his club as he denied the likes of Lionel Messi and Dembele - Barcelona will have the chance in the second leg playing in front of their fans at the Camp Nou Lyon were on Tuesday night, February 19, forced to a goalless draw by visiting Spanish giants Barcelona in the first leg of their Champions League round of 16 encounter. The French club have never beaten the Catalan giants in their history, and Lyon players wanted to break this record, but Barcelona proved an hard nut for them to crack. Barcelona got the first chance of the game in the 5th minute when Gerard Pique sent a long ball to Dembele who was in a good position, but he failed to utilize the opportunity. Lionel Messi and Suarez also combined well three minutes later to beat Lyon defense, but goalkeeper Anthony Lopes was brilliant to deny them. Lyon's got their b…

Plateau governorship election is inconclusive - INEC

- Pateau state governorship election has been declared inconclusive - The commission said the total number of votes cancelled is more than the difference in the number of votes the two major candidates got - The total number of votes cancelled in the state is 49, 347, while the total margin between leading candidates is 44, 929 The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Monday, March 11, declared the governorship elections in Plateau state inconclusive. Professor Richard Kimbir, the Returning Officer for the election in the state announced this on Monday in Jos, after collating results from the 17 local government areas of the state, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports. Kimbir, who is the Vice Chancellor of Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi, said the total number of votes cancelled is more than the difference in the number of votes the two major candidates got, “hence was constrained to declare the polls inconclusive”. The returning officer said Simon Lalon…

Ex-Nissan chief Ghosn seeks permission to attend board meeting on Tuesday - Yomiuri

TOKYO (Reuters) - Ousted Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn is seeking permission from the Tokyo District Court to attend the company's board meeting on Tuesday, Yomiuri newspaper reported on Monday. The Tokyo District Court is expected to decide whether it will give permission as soon as Monday, the report said. Renault SA, Nissan Motor Co and Mitsubishi Motors Corp plan to set up a joint board meeting structure to discuss issues related to their alliance in a step towards integration of operations, TV Tokyo reported on Sunday.