Skip to main content

Exclusive: China regulator requests pause in new game applications to clear backlog - sources


BEIJING/SHANGHAI (Reuters) - China's top content regulator has asked local authorities to stop submitting requests to monetize new video games while it processes a backlog of applications built up after a lengthy pause last year, three people with knowledge of the matter said.
The General Administration of Press and Publications (GAPP) issued the notice this week, the people said, indicating the impact on gaming stocks of the nine-month hiatus could continue and dulling hopes raised by the recent resumption of approvals.
The regulator's notice has not previously been reported.
China stopped approving the monetization of new titles last March amid a regulatory body reshuffle triggered by growing criticism of games being violent and addictive, as well as concern over the increase in myopia among young people.
Gaming firms such as industry leader Tencent Holdings Ltd - China's most valuable listed company - were able to continue filing applications, building up a backlog. They could also distribute new titles but were unable to earn any income from them, such as through in-game purchases.
The regulator resumed processing applications in December, with industry insiders estimating at least 5,000 games await approval. In China, game companies file applications to local authorities which in turn submit them to the regulator.
"The regulator asked local authorities to stop submitting applications because there is too much of a backlog for it to deal with at the moment," said one of the people, whose company was informed about the matter by its local authority.
Game companies will still be able to file applications but they will no longer be passed on to the Beijing regulator while it deals with applications already in hand, said a second person.
The people declined to be identified as they were not authorized to speak with media on the matter.
GAPP and the Propaganda Department of the Communist Party of China, which oversees GAPP, did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
The approval freeze dragged down shares in Tencent and wiped billions of dollars off its market value. Among titles for which Tencent is awaiting a license to monetize is "PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds Mobile", which industry insiders estimate could generate annual revenue of up to $1 billion.
The freeze has also hit many smaller companies that rely on a number of game releases each year.
The regulator approved 1,982 domestic and foreign online games during January-March last year before the freeze, government data showed. It approved 9,651 domestic and foreign online games in all of 2017.
It has approved 538 games since December.
(Reporting by Pei Li in BEIJING and Brenda Goh in SHANGHAI; Editing by Christopher Cushing)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lyon vs Barcelona: Lionel Messi and teammates get important draw in France

- Lyon vs Barcelona game in the Champions League round of 16 tie ended goalless on Tuesday night, February 19 - Goalkeeper Anthony Lopes of Lyon was superb for his club as he denied the likes of Lionel Messi and Dembele - Barcelona will have the chance in the second leg playing in front of their fans at the Camp Nou Lyon were on Tuesday night, February 19, forced to a goalless draw by visiting Spanish giants Barcelona in the first leg of their Champions League round of 16 encounter. The French club have never beaten the Catalan giants in their history, and Lyon players wanted to break this record, but Barcelona proved an hard nut for them to crack. Barcelona got the first chance of the game in the 5th minute when Gerard Pique sent a long ball to Dembele who was in a good position, but he failed to utilize the opportunity. Lionel Messi and Suarez also combined well three minutes later to beat Lyon defense, but goalkeeper Anthony Lopes was brilliant to deny them. Lyon's got their b…

Plateau governorship election is inconclusive - INEC

- Pateau state governorship election has been declared inconclusive - The commission said the total number of votes cancelled is more than the difference in the number of votes the two major candidates got - The total number of votes cancelled in the state is 49, 347, while the total margin between leading candidates is 44, 929 The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Monday, March 11, declared the governorship elections in Plateau state inconclusive. Professor Richard Kimbir, the Returning Officer for the election in the state announced this on Monday in Jos, after collating results from the 17 local government areas of the state, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports. Kimbir, who is the Vice Chancellor of Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi, said the total number of votes cancelled is more than the difference in the number of votes the two major candidates got, “hence was constrained to declare the polls inconclusive”. The returning officer said Simon Lalon…

Fulham vs Chelsea: Jorginho's goal gives the Blues a 2-1 win at Craven Cottage

Fulham vs Chelsea's Premier League game ended 2-1 in favor of the Blues at Craven Cottage - Gonzalo Higuain and Jorginho scored for Chelsea, while Calum Chambers netted for Fulham - Chelsea are still occupying sixth position on the Premier League standings with 56 points Fulham's unimpressive performance this season in the Premier League continued on Sunday, March 3, as they were beaten by Chelsea 2-1 at Craven Cottage. After sacking manager Claudio Ranieri, fans were of the hope that the players would redeem themselves by beating visiting Chelsea, but they could not. Chelsea also went into this game with the target of getting the maximum three points so as to restore their hopes of fighting for the top four teams in the Premier League. There were mutiny among Chelsea fans before the start of the match as some were livid with the decision of Maurizio Sarri to start goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga. Maurizio Sarri's men took the lead in the 20th minute through Gonzalo Higuain…