Skip to main content

Group of 25 Canadian students flees Haiti unrest


A group of 25 school students from Quebec and three chaperones were able to leave Haiti on Sunday, where they had been stuck due to violent anti-government protests.
"We are on the plane" back to Montreal, one of the chaperones confirmed in a message to AFP.
Canadian tour operator Transat also confirmed that the group of students was aboard flight TS663, which departed at 3:59 pm (2059 GMT) from Port-au-Prince.
In addition to the students, employees of Canada's temporarily-shuttered embassy were also heading home aboard the aircraft.
The day before, a group of 131 Canadian tourists were evacuated via helicopter from their beachside resort in Haiti after being trapped for one week at the site due to the ongoing unrest.
The tourists were ferried in shifts to the Port-au-Prince international airport, where they boarded a flight to Canada, Transat said.
On Friday, Canada officially warned its citizens against all travel to Haiti, an advisory issued after the temporary closure of its embassy in Port-au-Prince.
Since February 7, at least seven people have died as Haiti has been plunged into political crisis, with everyday life paralyzed by protests and barricades in the largest towns.
The protesters, angry at soaring inflation and the alleged theft of nearly $2 billion in Venezuelan oil relief, are demanding President Jovenel Moise's resignation.
Canada is one of Haiti's largest international donors and is home to a large Haitian diaspora, located mostly in French-speaking Quebec.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lyon vs Barcelona: Lionel Messi and teammates get important draw in France

- Lyon vs Barcelona game in the Champions League round of 16 tie ended goalless on Tuesday night, February 19 - Goalkeeper Anthony Lopes of Lyon was superb for his club as he denied the likes of Lionel Messi and Dembele - Barcelona will have the chance in the second leg playing in front of their fans at the Camp Nou Lyon were on Tuesday night, February 19, forced to a goalless draw by visiting Spanish giants Barcelona in the first leg of their Champions League round of 16 encounter. The French club have never beaten the Catalan giants in their history, and Lyon players wanted to break this record, but Barcelona proved an hard nut for them to crack. Barcelona got the first chance of the game in the 5th minute when Gerard Pique sent a long ball to Dembele who was in a good position, but he failed to utilize the opportunity. Lionel Messi and Suarez also combined well three minutes later to beat Lyon defense, but goalkeeper Anthony Lopes was brilliant to deny them. Lyon's got their b…

Plateau governorship election is inconclusive - INEC

- Pateau state governorship election has been declared inconclusive - The commission said the total number of votes cancelled is more than the difference in the number of votes the two major candidates got - The total number of votes cancelled in the state is 49, 347, while the total margin between leading candidates is 44, 929 The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Monday, March 11, declared the governorship elections in Plateau state inconclusive. Professor Richard Kimbir, the Returning Officer for the election in the state announced this on Monday in Jos, after collating results from the 17 local government areas of the state, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports. Kimbir, who is the Vice Chancellor of Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi, said the total number of votes cancelled is more than the difference in the number of votes the two major candidates got, “hence was constrained to declare the polls inconclusive”. The returning officer said Simon Lalon…

Ex-Nissan chief Ghosn seeks permission to attend board meeting on Tuesday - Yomiuri

TOKYO (Reuters) - Ousted Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn is seeking permission from the Tokyo District Court to attend the company's board meeting on Tuesday, Yomiuri newspaper reported on Monday. The Tokyo District Court is expected to decide whether it will give permission as soon as Monday, the report said. Renault SA, Nissan Motor Co and Mitsubishi Motors Corp plan to set up a joint board meeting structure to discuss issues related to their alliance in a step towards integration of operations, TV Tokyo reported on Sunday.