Skip to main content

Israel opposes UN council visit to Palestinian territories


Israel has told the UN Security Council that it opposes a planned visit by the top UN body to the Palestinian territories for a close-up look at the situation, Kuwait's ambassador said Wednesday.
Kuwait and other council members proposed the visit to the occupied territories during a meeting last week on Israel's decision to end the international observer force in the West Bank city of Hebron.
During a closed-door meeting on Wednesday, the council president briefed members on talks held with Israel and the Palestinians on the proposal for a visit.
"He said Israel categorically refused the council visit," Kuwait's Ambassador Mansour al-Otaibi told reporters after the meeting.
"They don't want to receive a visit by the Security Council" even though they are prepared to welcome delegations from countries on the council, he added.
"We expressed our regret that this visit will not take place because it has been raised many times by the council."
The Israeli mission did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The visit would have come at a tumultuous time: Israel is headed for elections in April and the United States is reportedly putting the finishing touches to its much-awaited peace proposals.
The Security Council has adopted several resolutions on the Israeli-Palestinian peace process that call for a two-state solution and holds monthly meetings on the conflict.
Israel maintains that the UN body is biased in favor of the Palestinians.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres visited Israel and the Palestinian territories in August 2017.
Several past proposals for a visit to Gaza and the occupied territories have been quashed by the United States, a veto-wielding member of the Security Council.
The council later Wednesday travels to Guinea-Bissau and Ivory Coast and is planning a trip to Mali in March. Last year, it made a high-profile visit to Myanmar and Bangladesh to meet with Rohingya refugees.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lyon vs Barcelona: Lionel Messi and teammates get important draw in France

- Lyon vs Barcelona game in the Champions League round of 16 tie ended goalless on Tuesday night, February 19 - Goalkeeper Anthony Lopes of Lyon was superb for his club as he denied the likes of Lionel Messi and Dembele - Barcelona will have the chance in the second leg playing in front of their fans at the Camp Nou Lyon were on Tuesday night, February 19, forced to a goalless draw by visiting Spanish giants Barcelona in the first leg of their Champions League round of 16 encounter. The French club have never beaten the Catalan giants in their history, and Lyon players wanted to break this record, but Barcelona proved an hard nut for them to crack. Barcelona got the first chance of the game in the 5th minute when Gerard Pique sent a long ball to Dembele who was in a good position, but he failed to utilize the opportunity. Lionel Messi and Suarez also combined well three minutes later to beat Lyon defense, but goalkeeper Anthony Lopes was brilliant to deny them. Lyon's got their b…

Plateau governorship election is inconclusive - INEC

- Pateau state governorship election has been declared inconclusive - The commission said the total number of votes cancelled is more than the difference in the number of votes the two major candidates got - The total number of votes cancelled in the state is 49, 347, while the total margin between leading candidates is 44, 929 The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Monday, March 11, declared the governorship elections in Plateau state inconclusive. Professor Richard Kimbir, the Returning Officer for the election in the state announced this on Monday in Jos, after collating results from the 17 local government areas of the state, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports. Kimbir, who is the Vice Chancellor of Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi, said the total number of votes cancelled is more than the difference in the number of votes the two major candidates got, “hence was constrained to declare the polls inconclusive”. The returning officer said Simon Lalon…

Ex-Nissan chief Ghosn seeks permission to attend board meeting on Tuesday - Yomiuri

TOKYO (Reuters) - Ousted Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn is seeking permission from the Tokyo District Court to attend the company's board meeting on Tuesday, Yomiuri newspaper reported on Monday. The Tokyo District Court is expected to decide whether it will give permission as soon as Monday, the report said. Renault SA, Nissan Motor Co and Mitsubishi Motors Corp plan to set up a joint board meeting structure to discuss issues related to their alliance in a step towards integration of operations, TV Tokyo reported on Sunday.