Skip to main content

It is time for Governor Waititu to sit back and read the writing on the wall


With the next General Election being three and a half years away, Kenyans appear to have learnt how to boldly express their disapproval of politicians who are openly engaging in premature 2022 campaigns.
This has worked as a number of politicians in team Tanga Tanga - a name coined by President Uhuru Kenyatta to describe leaders who had been restlessly traversing the country drumming up support for 2022 presidential candidates, read the public mood and stopped the early campaigns.
But there are still some leaders like Kiambu Governor Ferdinand Waititu who are yet to heed the call to jump off the politicking bandwagon and focus on solving problems affecting their people.
Waititu spent the past weekend in Kakamega county actively campaigning for Ruto’s 2022 candidature.
It was a move many people have rightly faulted, considering the pressing issues in his county.
The health sector - which is a devolved function that governors are fully in charge of - in Kiambu needs urgent fixing.
At least 60 babies have died at Kiambu Level 5 Hospital under unclear circumstances in the past two months leading to a national outcry.
Patients were forced to buy their own blankets and others personal utilities before getting admitted to the facility and other health centres across the county.
Even more nightmarish news came out later after doctors at the Level 5 Hospital declared a 20-day-old baby dead and even issued a burial permit, only for the parents to realize the boy was not dead minutes before burial.
The fact that the health crisis in Kiambu is not only embarrassing but life-threatening points to Waititu’s misplaced priorities.
He must focus on this critical issue among others before he can take to the podium to dance to the 2022 tune.
Regrettably, Kiambu Level 5 hospital was only recently a shining example of what devolution could do in turning around county healthcare facilities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lyon vs Barcelona: Lionel Messi and teammates get important draw in France

- Lyon vs Barcelona game in the Champions League round of 16 tie ended goalless on Tuesday night, February 19 - Goalkeeper Anthony Lopes of Lyon was superb for his club as he denied the likes of Lionel Messi and Dembele - Barcelona will have the chance in the second leg playing in front of their fans at the Camp Nou Lyon were on Tuesday night, February 19, forced to a goalless draw by visiting Spanish giants Barcelona in the first leg of their Champions League round of 16 encounter. The French club have never beaten the Catalan giants in their history, and Lyon players wanted to break this record, but Barcelona proved an hard nut for them to crack. Barcelona got the first chance of the game in the 5th minute when Gerard Pique sent a long ball to Dembele who was in a good position, but he failed to utilize the opportunity. Lionel Messi and Suarez also combined well three minutes later to beat Lyon defense, but goalkeeper Anthony Lopes was brilliant to deny them. Lyon's got their b…

Plateau governorship election is inconclusive - INEC

- Pateau state governorship election has been declared inconclusive - The commission said the total number of votes cancelled is more than the difference in the number of votes the two major candidates got - The total number of votes cancelled in the state is 49, 347, while the total margin between leading candidates is 44, 929 The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Monday, March 11, declared the governorship elections in Plateau state inconclusive. Professor Richard Kimbir, the Returning Officer for the election in the state announced this on Monday in Jos, after collating results from the 17 local government areas of the state, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports. Kimbir, who is the Vice Chancellor of Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi, said the total number of votes cancelled is more than the difference in the number of votes the two major candidates got, “hence was constrained to declare the polls inconclusive”. The returning officer said Simon Lalon…

Ex-Nissan chief Ghosn seeks permission to attend board meeting on Tuesday - Yomiuri

TOKYO (Reuters) - Ousted Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn is seeking permission from the Tokyo District Court to attend the company's board meeting on Tuesday, Yomiuri newspaper reported on Monday. The Tokyo District Court is expected to decide whether it will give permission as soon as Monday, the report said. Renault SA, Nissan Motor Co and Mitsubishi Motors Corp plan to set up a joint board meeting structure to discuss issues related to their alliance in a step towards integration of operations, TV Tokyo reported on Sunday.