Skip to main content

James Cameron: 'I almost swiped Harvey Weinstein with my Oscar'


Moviemaker James Cameron almost hit Harvey Weinstein with his Oscar statuette during an altercation at the 1998 Academy Awards. The Titanic director insists that if Oscars bosses were not begging him to return to his seat after a commercial break, he would have lashed out at the disgraced movie mogul over the way he and his production company partners at Miramax treated his friend Guillermo del Toro during the making of his film Mimic. Ironically, the 1997 film featured Mira Sorvino, one of the many actresses who accused Weinstein of assault and/or harassment following the publication of a New York Times expose detailing his bad behaviour over decades. In a new Vanity Fair interview Cameron recalled "almost getting in a fight" and hitting the producer "with my Oscar", adding, "Harvey came up glad-handing me, talking about how great they (Oscars) were for the artist, and I just read him chapter and verse about how great I thought he was for the artist, based on my friend’s experience, and that led to an altercation. "The music had started to play to get back in our seats (and) the people around us were saying, 'Not here! Not here!' Like it was OK to fight in the parking lot, you know, but it was not OK there when the music was playing - and they were about to go live." Looking back, Cameron often thinks he should have taken a swipe at Weinstein, joking there are many people in Hollywood "that would’ve preferred I had played through on that one". Weinstein has been accused of sexual harassment and/or assault by more than 50 women and is currently under investigation by multiple police departments. He has denied any allegations of non-consensual sex. The producer was expelled from the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences last year (18).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lyon vs Barcelona: Lionel Messi and teammates get important draw in France

- Lyon vs Barcelona game in the Champions League round of 16 tie ended goalless on Tuesday night, February 19 - Goalkeeper Anthony Lopes of Lyon was superb for his club as he denied the likes of Lionel Messi and Dembele - Barcelona will have the chance in the second leg playing in front of their fans at the Camp Nou Lyon were on Tuesday night, February 19, forced to a goalless draw by visiting Spanish giants Barcelona in the first leg of their Champions League round of 16 encounter. The French club have never beaten the Catalan giants in their history, and Lyon players wanted to break this record, but Barcelona proved an hard nut for them to crack. Barcelona got the first chance of the game in the 5th minute when Gerard Pique sent a long ball to Dembele who was in a good position, but he failed to utilize the opportunity. Lionel Messi and Suarez also combined well three minutes later to beat Lyon defense, but goalkeeper Anthony Lopes was brilliant to deny them. Lyon's got their b…

Plateau governorship election is inconclusive - INEC

- Pateau state governorship election has been declared inconclusive - The commission said the total number of votes cancelled is more than the difference in the number of votes the two major candidates got - The total number of votes cancelled in the state is 49, 347, while the total margin between leading candidates is 44, 929 The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Monday, March 11, declared the governorship elections in Plateau state inconclusive. Professor Richard Kimbir, the Returning Officer for the election in the state announced this on Monday in Jos, after collating results from the 17 local government areas of the state, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports. Kimbir, who is the Vice Chancellor of Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi, said the total number of votes cancelled is more than the difference in the number of votes the two major candidates got, “hence was constrained to declare the polls inconclusive”. The returning officer said Simon Lalon…

Fulham vs Chelsea: Jorginho's goal gives the Blues a 2-1 win at Craven Cottage

Fulham vs Chelsea's Premier League game ended 2-1 in favor of the Blues at Craven Cottage - Gonzalo Higuain and Jorginho scored for Chelsea, while Calum Chambers netted for Fulham - Chelsea are still occupying sixth position on the Premier League standings with 56 points Fulham's unimpressive performance this season in the Premier League continued on Sunday, March 3, as they were beaten by Chelsea 2-1 at Craven Cottage. After sacking manager Claudio Ranieri, fans were of the hope that the players would redeem themselves by beating visiting Chelsea, but they could not. Chelsea also went into this game with the target of getting the maximum three points so as to restore their hopes of fighting for the top four teams in the Premier League. There were mutiny among Chelsea fans before the start of the match as some were livid with the decision of Maurizio Sarri to start goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga. Maurizio Sarri's men took the lead in the 20th minute through Gonzalo Higuain…