Skip to main content

Venezuela offers to send food aid to Colombia, as Maduro resists help


Venezuela will send food to feed hungry Colombian children, communications minister Jorge Rodriguez claimed Monday -- citing statistics about poverty in neighboring Colombia -- even as citizens in his country struggle with food shortages at home.
Rodriguez said in a televised statement that more than 20,000 boxes of food aid would be sent to the Colombian border city Cucuta, in an apparent retort to international efforts to send food to hungry Venezuelans.
Cucuta has gained international prominence as a collection point for foreign shipments of humanitarian aid to Venezuela, which have so far been rejected by the Maduro regime. It is also a first stop for many fleeing Venezuela; many of the needy children living there are in fact Venezuelan.
Opposition leader Juan Guaido, who declared himself the country's acting president in January, called on the international community to help feed Venezuela earlier this month.
The United States has already responded: On Saturday, the US Agency for International Development (USAID) deposited its second installment of supplies in Cucuta, including hygiene kits and nutrition products for children. So far, the aid is waiting in warehouses, and has not crossed into Venezuela.
According to an annual university study which closely monitors social conditions in Venezuela, almost 90% of citizens were living in poverty in 2017.
The study found that Venezuelans lost an average of 24 pounds -- a result of what some describe as the "Maduro diet," in reference to the rampant inflation and food scarcity that have swept the country under Maduro's leadership. Maduro has argued that Guaido's aid campaign is not needed, saying "We are not beggars."
However, the country did accept aid before its current political crisis, with 9.2 million in food and health supplies approved by the United Nations as recently as November 2018.
While the Venezuelan opposition plans to introduce shipments of humanitarian aid to the country on February 23, it's unclear how they will do it without the support of the military and police, who remain loyal to a defiant Maduro.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lyon vs Barcelona: Lionel Messi and teammates get important draw in France

- Lyon vs Barcelona game in the Champions League round of 16 tie ended goalless on Tuesday night, February 19 - Goalkeeper Anthony Lopes of Lyon was superb for his club as he denied the likes of Lionel Messi and Dembele - Barcelona will have the chance in the second leg playing in front of their fans at the Camp Nou Lyon were on Tuesday night, February 19, forced to a goalless draw by visiting Spanish giants Barcelona in the first leg of their Champions League round of 16 encounter. The French club have never beaten the Catalan giants in their history, and Lyon players wanted to break this record, but Barcelona proved an hard nut for them to crack. Barcelona got the first chance of the game in the 5th minute when Gerard Pique sent a long ball to Dembele who was in a good position, but he failed to utilize the opportunity. Lionel Messi and Suarez also combined well three minutes later to beat Lyon defense, but goalkeeper Anthony Lopes was brilliant to deny them. Lyon's got their b…

Plateau governorship election is inconclusive - INEC

- Pateau state governorship election has been declared inconclusive - The commission said the total number of votes cancelled is more than the difference in the number of votes the two major candidates got - The total number of votes cancelled in the state is 49, 347, while the total margin between leading candidates is 44, 929 The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Monday, March 11, declared the governorship elections in Plateau state inconclusive. Professor Richard Kimbir, the Returning Officer for the election in the state announced this on Monday in Jos, after collating results from the 17 local government areas of the state, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports. Kimbir, who is the Vice Chancellor of Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi, said the total number of votes cancelled is more than the difference in the number of votes the two major candidates got, “hence was constrained to declare the polls inconclusive”. The returning officer said Simon Lalon…

Ex-Nissan chief Ghosn seeks permission to attend board meeting on Tuesday - Yomiuri

TOKYO (Reuters) - Ousted Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn is seeking permission from the Tokyo District Court to attend the company's board meeting on Tuesday, Yomiuri newspaper reported on Monday. The Tokyo District Court is expected to decide whether it will give permission as soon as Monday, the report said. Renault SA, Nissan Motor Co and Mitsubishi Motors Corp plan to set up a joint board meeting structure to discuss issues related to their alliance in a step towards integration of operations, TV Tokyo reported on Sunday.